Do vinyl mattress covers protect against bed bugs? This is a question many ask when it comes to bed bugs removal and control. We have discussed a few times by now the main issues regarding bed bugs. We have also presented you with solutions for bed bug control. Nevertheless, we feel it is time to cover more facts when it comes to bed bug mattresses.
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are among the most tenacious household pests. Once they’ve infested your home, it’s incredibly difficult to get rid of them. Eradicating bed bugs from your home takes hard work, dedication, and more than a little know-how.
Chances are you’ve heard of bed bugs before. But if you’re like most people, you probably don’t know much about these pests.
Bed bugs are small insects that thrive on blood. Though they prefer human blood, they also feed off animals, especially household pets like dogs and cats.
You often won’t see many signs of bed bugs at the beginning of an infestation.
- Because the bugs are small and skittish, they tend to hide out of sight during the daytime. It’s only at night that they come out to feed.
It’s for this reason that the first sign of most bed bug infestations are bites.
- Small itchy welts (similar in appearance to mosquito or flea bites) occur as a symptom of these bed bug bites.
The key way to differentiate bed bug bites from other types of bites is by where they appear on the skin. Bites on the ankles are generally flea bites while bites on other parts of the body are likely from bed bugs.
Though their bites are itchy and annoying, bed bugs aren’t dangerous. That’s not to say they’re not disgusting though!
Who is at Risk for Bed Bug Infestation?
Anyone and everyone is at risk for bed bug infestation. These infestations occur almost everywhere in the world, with a markedly higher concentration in large cities and other highly-populated areas.
- One of the worst things about bed bugs is they spread so quickly, especially in apartment buildings.
- If one apartment unit has bed bugs, chances are that every apartment unit does.
- This means that a coordinated removal effort is needed to get rid of them.
Even homeowners have to be wary of bed bugs traveling in this fashion. If a neighbor is struggling with bed bugs, there is a very good chance they’ll migrate to your house at some point.
A bed bug infestation isn’t something to take lightly. It can happen to anyone so it’s best to put solid preventative measures in place to protect your home even before an infestation becomes inevitable.
Do Vinyl Mattress Covers Protect Against Bed Bugs?
As their name implies, bed bugs love beds. They flock to beds at night in search of the blood of sleeping humans. So it makes sense that your first line of defense against bed bugs starts with your mattress.
A vinyl mattress cover is perhaps the best way to protect your bed from the wrath of bed bugs. It slips over your mattress, making it more difficult for bed bugs to navigate. In fact, a vinyl mattress cover can help prevent bed bugs altogether.
If you’ve experienced a bed bug infestation in the past, a vinyl mattress cover will help you get rid of bed bugs. It makes it much more difficult for bed bugs to survive, killing them much more quickly.
How Do Bed Bugs Matress Covers Work?
Bed bug mattresses are not your regular matress covers. In fact, the latter will not prevent or fend off bed bugs.
However, mattress encasements, can help you minimize or eliminate the infestation. Here is how!
- A mattress encasement – a vinyl one in this case – is a case that covers both your mattress and the box spring.
- When you trap bed bugs inside the case, they cannot escape or breed, and will eventually die there.
- The bed bugs left outside will no longer have a place to go to feed and breed, and will eventually die as well.
Some people are turned off by the thought of vinyl mattress covers. Contrary to popular belief, these covers don’t make beds uncomfortable. Quite the contrary. They’re very breathable and comfortable, providing a solid night’s rest without the worry of waking up with bed bug bites in the morning.
Find the Right Vinyl Mattress Cover
Don’t just select any vinyl mattress cover. When it comes to bed bugs, investing in a premium quality product is always wise.
Select a vinyl mattress cover from a reputable company. Ensure that it’s comfortable to sleep on. All too often people buy the first vinyl mattress cover they come across only to discover it’s terribly uncomfortable.
Tip: We recommend Hospitology’s Sleep Defense System.
How to Choose the Best Vinyl Mattress Cover?
No matter what brand you favor in terms of bed accessories, your bed bugs mattress cover should present the following features at the same time:
- It should be waterproof. Most bed bugs mattresses are, but make sure you get one that does not add mold and mildew to your already existing bed problems.
- It should have a label mentioning bed bugs and things like “bite proof” or “escape proof.”
- In this day and age, we know that vinyl and its associated phthalates can pose serious threats to our health and the environment. If possible, discuss with the vendor about non-toxic and phtalates-free vinyl, especially if children sleep in that bed.
- It may cost a little more, but try bed bugs mattress covers featuring polyester or polyurethane.
Other Methods of Bed Bug Control
Don’t use a vinyl mattress cover as your only line of defense against bed bugs. To truly protect yourself and your home, you need to investigate other control methods. The best include:
- Clean – Regular cleaning never hurt anyone. Keeping a clean home is the number one way to prevent bed bugs. If you are experiencing an infestation, cleaning all your clothing, blankets, and other fabrics in hot water will help kill the bugs.
- Vacuum – Vacuum frequently during a bed bug infestation to remove all the bugs and their eggs. Pay particular attention to the edges of your carpet, underneath baseboards, and underneath furniture.
- Intercept – Use bed bugs interceptors and traps to eliminate as much of the infestation as you can.
- Treat – Cleaning and vacuuming isn’t enough to eradicate bed bugs during an infestation. You must treat your home with a bed bug treatment. Though natural treatments are available, fumigates and poisons are the most effective. Follow the instructions exactly to ensure success.
- Talk to Neighbors – As we mentioned above, a bed bug infestation isn’t an isolated problem. If your home has bed bugs, chances are your neighbors do too, especially if you live in an apartment. So talk to your neighbors to get them on the same page. Encourage them to use the same treatments as you to wipe out the problem altogether.
- Monitor Success – Keep an eye on your success. You don’t want to stop your efforts until no more bed bugs are left. It’s important to be vigilant for weeks after you see the last bed bug to make sure they don’t return.
Your Best Option to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
So what’s the best way to get rid of bed bugs for good?
It boils down to a combined effort. Invest in a vinyl mattress cover so you have a safe place to sleep while you use the other methods discussed above. Vacuuming, cleaning, and using chemical treatments are your best bet.
Once again, it’s essential to get your neighbors on board. You won’t eradicate bed bugs for good unless they’re exterminated from your entire area.
Hiring a Professional
There’s no shame in hiring a bed bug control professional. The creatures are incredibly resilient and DIY efforts often fail.
Professionals have access to far more powerful tools and products. They also know the absolute best way to apply these to guarantee total extermination.
Upon completion of the bed bug removal treatment, your professional pest control service will give you advice on how to prevent future infestations. Take note of this advice so that you don’t have to deal with bed bugs again.
If you live in an apartment, hiring a professional is almost always the way to go. DIY bed bug removal usually doesn’t work because of the vast number of people living in the building.
Talk to your building or property manager about your bed bug problem and urge them to contact an expert.
Your Bed-Bug Free Home
No one wants bed bugs in their home. The small insects cause painful bites and are just plain gross. Worse still, they’re incredibly resilient and difficult to exterminate.
If you notice even just a single bed bug in your home, it’s important to act fast.
- Contact a professional right away for their advice. Acting fast will help you get your bed bug problem under control before it becomes a full-blown infestation.
Using a variety of techniques is the only way to get rid of bed bugs. Most importantly, use a vinyl mattress cover, clean frequently, and experiment with a variety of chemical treatments. If all else fails, call in a professional.
Follow these tips to a T and your bed bug problem will be under control in no time at all.
Do vinyl mattress covers protect against bed bugs? Summing Up
Yes. Your top priority is to find a high-quality one that is waterproof.
1. They contain the bed bugs inside, eventually killing them.
2. They stop the bed bugs outside enter the bed to feed and breed.
3. They limit the infestation to other homes.
1. It should be waterproof;
2. It should have labels explicitly mentioning bed bugs;
3. It should feature a non-toxic variety of plastic.
Last update on 2021-04-22 at 23:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API